On Thursday 27 September 2007 18:51, Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:
> > Things like the OOo facebook group, more Youtube Videos and more
> > presence on things like stumble upon,  digg, youtube, slideshare,
> > mugshot and so on.
> >
> > Also the need of more non profit entities in countries so that
> > openoffice.org scale to large deployments. basically we are finding that
> > OOo vendors hav e a hard time justifiying the product and the brand.
>
> Two resources that I frequently find useful in my discussions with
> ISV's and potential customers / OpenOffice.org users as well as the
> press are the following two wiki pages:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Market_Share_Analysis
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Solutions
>

> I'm sure that there are a lot more large scale OpenOffice.org
> deployments than those listed on the market share wiki page.
> Therefore, we should frequently remind people (e.g. the members
> of the native-lang community) to update the list by adding
> their local success stories. In addition, it would be great to
> get "video endorsements" from some of these OpenOffice.org users,
> so that we can publish them on sites like YouTube.

One of the problems I come across with regard to this is that for a corporate,
there is no advantage to advertising the fact that they use OOo but there are
some good reasons (ie: BSA Audit) not to.

> The same is true for the solutions wiki page. We need to capture
> all the solutions that integrate with OpenOffice.org and/or
> complement OpenOffice.org.
>

> All the best,
> Erwin

One of the biggest issues that I find is that companies try to do this under
the radar to avoid the possibility of an audit as well as doing it as cheaply
as possible.  Unfortunately while buying MS won't often get an IT person
sacked they perhaps think that spending money to achieve painless migration
is a no-no.  For me, in several cases, this has resulted in me getting a call
after the process has begun.  The result often is that initial work with a
companies staff is about rescuing the migration, about winning hearts and
minds which has been made more difficult by a wholesale sudden change in
software.

We shouldn't be selling the software.  As Ian pointed out in an earlier post,
the software sells itself when you get the chance to show it off.
We need to be selling the migration process.
We need to be selling people ie MarCons, making them easily contactable.
Developing local businesses around OOo support, developing partners in local
markets.  Local people/companies so that we can promote the message that
spending on Open Source is keeping  money local.

I'll reiterate what I said in the other thread in terms of the marketing
budget.

Allowing 80% online marketing and 20% Promo materials.

For online given the limitations of the past, we need to steer people from
online ads to the why.openoffice.org page.  Set it up so that there is a
prominent link that with a single click sends an mail, either direct to
someone in their local area or directed to the MarCon List or even another
list, say; [EMAIL PROTECTED] (This latter would be my
preference, it allows quality control)  This is a much smaller step than
going straight to the download page and expecting a new user to immediately
trust us enough to download.  While that puts a bit of a burden on the
MarCons to respond quickly and reliably, it will only be for a short space of
time.

This requires a few things to be put in place.
        The Why.... page will have to be slightly modified to emphasise the
contact
button
        Set up an [EMAIL PROTECTED] maillist
        Establish policies and procedures for managing those enquiries(Most
important!)

Another point/suggestion I'd like to test the water with:
This advertising has to be about brand awareness, presales if you will.
The best medium for raising brand awareness is Television.  The most wide
spread and trusted TV medium in the English speaking world that has a very
high corporate viewing audience is BBC World, not huge in the US I know, but
outside the US, it's influence is large.  I think a portion of the online and
the promo parts of the budget spent there could be very valuable if we agree
that we are confining this campaign to English speaking regions.  This
subject to cost of course.  4 x 30sec placements per day for a week timed for
late prime GMT UK programme (10pm and 1am GMT) and late prime Asia Programme
would probably be the minimum useful.
(As an additional note here: the "why.openoffice.org" lends itself really well
to a TVA.  Punchy and memorable. Very easy to turn to a call to action.)

Cheers
GL

--
"GET LEGAL - GET OPENOFFICE.ORG"
http://why.openoffice.org

Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
Moderator New Zealand
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org.nz

GET DRESSED GET OOOGEAR
http://ooogear.co.nz