On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 08:44 +0200, Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:
> > I can't see any economic reason for a system builder installing MS Works
> > on a computer instead of OOo unless M$ is actually paying them to do
> > it.
>
> System builders might not get money for installing MS Works, but they
> might get money (e.g. via revenue sharing) from selling upgrades to the
> full MS Office product.

That's more plausible although you'd think that if the customer wanted
and could afford MS Office they would get it from the outset. If they
start using Works they do have an upgrade issue because its not that
easy to upgrade works files to MS office files - probably easier going
OOo to MSO. Maybe we should do a deal with MS to get them to give a
discount on MSO for upgrading from OOo pre-installed so there is a
reason for system builders to install OOo to get a discount :-) Worth
the gamble because once using it how many people would swap OOo for MSO?
MS might just be arrogant enough to believe they would ;-)

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org