Hi,
First let me introduce myself. I am an Indian software engineer, working in
Singapore. I have been scouting around OOo mailing list's for some time
looking for way's to contribute, and would like to share some thoughts on
this video contest and more generally on promoting OOo via video's.

1. Do we need to promote OOo via medium like video's?

Simple answer: Yes.

As far as my perspective goes, the true reach of OOo right now is amongst
the relatively "tech savvy" crowd. If  we truly want OOo to reach wider
audience's we need to more and more mediums to reach them. Blog's,
pamphlets, banners etc are good - but nothing touches the human psyche more
than audio-visual, especially the type of crowd we are targeting.

Imagine if we had a repository of video's (mind you not tutorial's)
promoting OOo. Not only listing out the good things but comparing it to
other such licensed products out there (read MS Office). It would be so easy
for a volunteer to pick up one or two of such video's and putting up his
case for OOo as a presentation at his office, university- or even at home.

2. Importance of contest -

It is very important that such video's are viewed as being presented by
peer's rather than as by an organization .
Take the example of this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dury0VEJT3U

Highly lacking in content, this video is still able to put a point across
that the user was highly impressed by OOo ( we could ignore the last part's
of the video though :) )

By enforcing the framework of a contest we can also ensure quality levels.

3. Is it important to promote the contest amongst people who are not very
familiar with OOo?

Even though the thought of enticing new users with this contest is tempting,
i feel the real target for this contest should be current users- who are
well aware of the strength's and weaknesses of OOo. The aim being creation
of video promotion material. I am not sure how much we will be able to
attract new user's to OOo by asking them to make a video about it. (Works
for Sony as they are trying to sell camera's :) )

Anvay Lonkar
+65 94659245