Hi all,

I agree with Anvay on the fact that having a repository of OOo videos would be helpful for a lot of people. If they are licensed under a Creative Commons license they can be re-used for different marketing campaigns and other purposes. I also agree with Sagar as he points out that professionals film makers do a very good job and that it would be good to try to get them to videos for OOo. But we will need a budget to pay for their professional work and probably we could only afford very few videos. Mozilla did a video contest for Firefox back in 2006. They wanted short videos (30 sec) promoting Firefox and they tried to get everybody to participate (users, amateur video makers, film students and professional film makers) and had ¨big¨ prizes as incentive. You can take a look at http://www.firefoxflicks.com/ and see the winning videos, the target and rules of the contest and the prizes. Firefox also collaborated with different film festivals and got sponsors for the prizes. Maybe we could think about this. I personally think that it isn't necessary to have paid professional film makers, as the production costs for producing video have dramatically gone down in the past years. The alternative of having a professional production still remains. But I think that it would be better to have less professional videos coming from more different cultures, than having a standard video for all cultures. We can increase the quality of the videos if we target film students and young artists, who have time and want to experiment, and might be motivated by the prize and the honour. If they're already using OOo or if they start using it because of the contest doesn't matter (IMHO) as long as their videos are good. We could also get the film makers in touch with people with successful OOo stories.

Let me know your thoughts.
cheers,
Rosana