On 1/11/10 9:28 PM, eric b wrote:
Hi Alexandro,

Le 11 janv. 10 à 20:51, Alexandro Colorado a écrit :

Telling about the education project could be one thing. I remember your
presentation in Orvieto, Alexandro. It was full of ideas, but not so
specific. It looks like a container of wishes for the next decade(s)
or so
;-) To be really attractive, it might be shorter, more practical?

Well of course, the Education project is considered a
"Young/Incubator" project so most things are still on it's way and
planned.

Not exactly : we did a lot, but outside of the OOo website.
that is my first question, why?

Creativity
needs freedom, and OpenOffice.org website does not exactly provide the
tools we need.
no objections for freedom but is this really true and have you tried it. In case of your mentioned http://educoo.edulibre.org/ i see a drupal system the same framework that we use for our extension site. We have several different services under services.openoffice.org. Can you give concrete details please.

Should it be considered or evaluated again because the education project is an official OpenOffice.org project and from my point of it should run under the OOo umbrella and the typical OOo design.

There is an ONG backing it up with EducOO and there is some real work
happening on some areas of education including OOo4Kids
(http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/) and Efforts. But some are still being
developed like the "CampusLibre" project.

Just FYI :

- we created strong links with the schools we worked with, and around 20
students have been mentored since two years

- OpenOffice.org Education Project today counts ~ 110 members (was only
7 or 8 when I started ... )

- Campus Libre Project counts ~ 200 members :
http://campus-libre.educoo.org/index.php
my personal problem with this site is that it is french and i don't speak french. What exactly is it, an education project besides the official OpenOffice.org education project?

- Edulibre (free Forge for collaborative work) is new and operationnal
(we'll launch it soon officially) : http://educoo.edulibre.org/

- is the XO port *not* something concrete ? FYI, OOo4Kids will be in the
next Sugar version : we created a strong link with another community
what is the XO port?

- Aren't ClassRooms concrete ? ( everything is on the OpenOffice.org wiki )

they are and i think they are very useful.

The goal of the presentation was giving exposure to the whole
Education project so it couldn't be very practical.

Exactly : one hour is very limited, and the content is generic, but
dedicated presentations can be done on demand.
why haven't you replied on the FOSDEM CFP that i have send on the education list as well. Too bad that we have the education project not there or represented. I would be happy if you can provide us some information that we can at least present at the booth.

Juergen

I am not sure that showing a fancy graph with the internal
organization and processes would be very enlightning or attractive to
someone that want to join the project. Instead I gave an overal
roundup on areas where they wanted to participate and if they thought
it was a good idea or not. Most of the wishlist did include starting a
project in their locality because WE NEED FUNDING. So yes, wishful
thinking means ... once we get resources we can do X or Y.

Yet another concrete fact : EducOOo ( http://educoo.org ) proposed to
reverse 10 to 15% of the donations to help OpenOffice.org (students or
Education related, but othr cases can be).

Regards,

Eric Bachard
Lead,
OpenOffice.org Education Project