You forgot the maven-plugin-testing-harness ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Fabulich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:07 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Re: Invoker vs. Verifier?

John Casey wrote:

> What you're seeing as overlap is a mixture of concerns in the invoker
> plugin. The verifications beanshell really needs to be migrated out to

> some sort of proper integration-testing plugin (or, even better, a
> plugin that unites invoker and verifier under a common
> configuration...then extend the verifier with the invoker's beanshell
> functionality). Regardless, the invoker plugin can be used for any
sort
> of scenario where you need to fork a new maven process. I've
personally
> used it to proxy secondary builds in some sticky client use cases. You

> don't have to use the beanshell script to verify the build, it's just
an
> [admittedly confusing] option.

As I've remarked before, I find it weird that various Maven developers
have gone and written _plugins_ to do Maven integration testing.

Integration tests are just tests; we know how to write/run tests using
real test frameworks like JUnit and TestNG.  Those frameworks are pretty

cool; you can do stuff like rerun failures-only, graph results over
time,
write data-driven tests, etc.  You can even use them to write tests in
scripting languages like Groovy, BeanShell, etc.  All that AND you get
excellent IDE integration.

More generally, while I certainly see the value of a
maven-invoker-plugin,
I don't expect that you'd want that to be the "normal" way people would
write Maven integration tests.

Right now there are four things: maven-verifier, maven-verifier-plugin
(no
relation!), maven-invoker, and maven-invoker-plugin.

I think I'd like to advocate ripping out the bulk of maven-verifier and
make it depend entirely on maven-invoker.  Since maven-verifier is so
confusingly named, I think I'd want to take the good bits out and put
them
in maven-integration-test-helper (which is what maven-verifier really
is,
anyway).

More controversially (?) I'd like to deprecate the idea of writing
*tests*
using the maven-invoker-plugin, instead preferring to write them in Java

(or BeanShell, I'm easy!) running them using a "real" test framework.
maven-invoker-plugin should still be used for spawning sub-builds in
those
delightful cases where that's necessary.

Thoughts?

-Dan