On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 13:49, Geertjan Wielenga <geert...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the proposal, if a balance between Neil’s perspective and yours
> can be found, that would be best

I think it already is!  And to be fair to Laszlo, it also kind of was
at Option 4 in his first email in this thread.  I didn't entirely read
it correctly until the additional schedule email, although that did
change "might integrate" to master to a weekly sync to master, which
is better.  This might require some thought over exactly what is
merged to master during release (big cluster refactoring might still
need to wait?!), but it should make things a lot better without
reverting back to cherry picking / double PRs / fixing things
differently across branches.

One thing I don't think is correct in the original option 4 is -

> there are two cross repository commits per
> release, that is the version change (with API signatures) on master and
> the release branches. These changes are unique to their branches, they
> can't be merged.

These changes aren't unique to their branches - currently they are the
first (spec bump) and last (sigs) shared commits for each cycle.
Which does make me wonder if with some infrastructure tweaking we can
even eventually remove the requirement for the transient release
branch?  But probably not yet!

> — however, it sounds like you have a great
> way forward and that 12.2 is in good hands.

+1