On 19/03/2019 18.34, Eric Barboni wrote:
Hi,

   Prior to any process for voting/releasing the Apache Netbeans maven
artefacts  would be sure on one point. We may use groupId
org.apache.netbeans or org.netbeans as we have the grant to do so.

  It would be easier and more backward compatible to use org.netbeans as
groupId for Apache NetBeans artefacts. Can we use that groupId forever even
if we became a TLP. Or was it only for transitioning purpose.

I think you must ask this on tradema...@apache.org.

The Apache Branding Policy says [1] that podlings may request to keep
non apache domain names (e.g. netbeans.org) for *limited uses* once the
podling graduates to TLP.

That primarily concerns website and domain usages, but the Policy isn't
really clear/explicit in how far the "limited uses" is, or may be
extended to 'forever' usage when such a domain has been transferred to
the ASF. My gut feeling is: only in exceptional cases, as explained at
[1] for openoffice.org and groovy-lang.org.

In how far this extends (or not) to the usage of non apache Maven
GroupId, temporarily or 'forever', is really not addressed nor answered
there, nor anywhere else I searched for it.
Legally, I think it should be fine, because netbeans.org has been
transferred to the ASF. But it might still not be desired or allowed
from ASF (branding) Policy POV.
So again, I advise to explicitly ask this to be answered and agreed upon
first by the Apache Trademark (and Branding) Committee.

Possibly other mentors may have more experience/knowledge in this area
how other podlings dealt with this, and can chime in as well?

Note: I understand the wish to retain the usage of org.netbeans as Maven
GroupId for backwards compatibility. But even if this will be allowed,
is it really needed to stick to using it 'forever'?
If not yet now, IMO it is advisable to at least discuss and plan to
migrate and transition to using org.apache.netbeans for future
Maven artifacts / NetBeans releases.
If not, do you want to use org.netbeans also for new Maven artifacts?
Otherwise you'll end up with an even more 'messy' Maven/Nexus artifact
management, using 2 different (base) GroupIds...

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#nonapache

   One second question is concerning process to vote/release the artefacts.
The artefacts are built using the same tag as the official release of Apache
NetBeans (incubating)   for example for version 10 its tag is 10.0-vc5.

  The only element to vote on would be a staged repository with a bunch of
artefacts at
(https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenetbeans-1011/)
as the source are already released (signed by two different people).

   Will that work the Apache way ? How to make it comply.

    Best Regards

Eric

PS:

  (The donated mavenutilities plugins will be at org.apache.netbeans because
they are new artefacts as the previous release netbeans-parent)