De : Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Envoyé : lundi 25 mars 2019 13:00
À : dev@netbeans.incubator.apache.org
Objet : Re: [MENTORS] Apache NetBeans maven artifacts groupId and process

We did have this discussion over a year ago with Greg Stein.

Back then the blocker was indeed the missing trademarks for 'NetBeans'.
With this resolved there is no legal problem anymore afaict.

Yes, the ASF by default prefers to use the org.apache.* groupIds. Mostly
because there is no exceptional management necessary in our Nexus staging
setup. But we have quite a few projects using other package names. E.g. commons
still publishes maintenance versions for commons-* as groupId.

+1 for the Infra ticket as it might be some manual work for them to
allow NB to use org.netbeans.* as groupId. Please make sure to mention that we
need this package name for backward compatibility reasons.

I'm not sure about trademarks@a.o involvement. What do trademarks have
to do with our package name? It's _not_ about the domain, it's about
technical coordinates. Since we (ASF) now own the trademark on
'NetBeans' there is not much to clarify with them imo. It's really more
an infra thingy as this doesn't nicely fit into our
org.apache.${project} schema which is a proven path for them.

LieGrue,
strub