--- Jonathon -- Improov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Ugh. Remind me never to take up law. (Yeah, I know, I'll be cannon
> fodder for big boys with lawyers.)
>
>  > This structure, however does not protect the contributor (you) of
>  > joint work.
>
> Ok. So if I stole someone else's private work and contributed it to a
> committer who commits this
> stolen work to ASF, then I'm liable for the theft, and ASF and the
> committer are not liable.

ASF will need to remove the offending code from distribution.

> That'll also mean I better make sure that the contributions put into
> my private sandbox are not
> stolen as well. I'll just follow ASF's "license grant" process, so I
> won't be liable for any
> thefts committed by contributors in my sandbox team.

That may not be sufficient.  The ASF does quite a bit more than the CLA
and license grant to protect itself.

>  > The only way as I see around this is to have a specific agreement
>  > amongst all joint owners allowing for its distribution under
> Apache
>  > 2.
>
> Alright. So I just need to make sure all those committing to my
> ragtag sandbox assigns rights to
> ASF to distribute their contributions under Apache 2.

AFAIK
The only way you can grant a license to the ASF is if you make your
contribution directly to the ASF.  If they make their contribution to
you, they are granting you a license not Apache.  However, since their
contribution is intended to be inseparable from your contribution, it
is now a joint work absent some sort of agreement. This is the point
where it gets cloudy and no definitive answer has been offered.  Still
not a pretty pickle and thus my ranting for a sandbox that is available
to the community but owned by ASF.

=== message truncated ===