Jonathon, all,

One day or another "we" will have to pass a vote about exposing officially the
release as tarball and such.
I guess one reason "we" don't do it as fast as you'd like is that it's a one
man process (David has exposed number of other reasons,
which you discussed below).
As David briefly explained (he talked about keys) there is a release manager
for each TLP (note the idea about technical and social
ones)
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#glossary-release-manager.
And releases must follow certains guidelines
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice.
. I think we have achieved all the requirements regarding licence and such
. There seems to be less and less bugs to back port and anyway this is not a
criteria as explained in links above.
. The documentation sounds pretty updated.

But there is still some works to do :
. Prepare release announcements and advertising
. Create the tarballs (different types for Linux, Windows, etc.) as it was done
here
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Incubating+4.0.0+Test+Snapshot+Release
 following
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan#ReleasePlan-HowtodoOFBizReleaseRelatedTasks
. Check all  points in the 1st 2 links above
. Launch an official vote (only PMC votes are binding)
. Certainly some points I forgot...

By chance "we" should have been thru all this during incubation (see snapshot
release link above)

So I think "we" are not so far from releasing. The main thing would be to have
more testing for the current release4.0, and
especially feedback from real production environments. Maybe we should ask for
this last point on user ML ?

Thanks

Jacques

De : "Jonathon -- Improov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>