Jonathon,

I just re-read you message below and I'm not quite sure to understand because
for me a tag is just a name for a revision number.

I wrote
> > Notably <<Once a release branch stabilizes an initial "stable" release tag
>  > and pre-built package will be issued>>

You answered
> What this means is:
>
> 1. Receive fixes for OFBiz 4.0 branch (it's a progressing branch)
ok

> 2. Stabilize OFBiz 4.0 branch (time to freeze)
ok

> 3. Fork a new branch called OFBiz 4.0.stable (non-progressing branch)
ok

> That's the meaning of "tag" in SVN. In fact, "tag" in CVS is about the same
> (effected with
> "branching"), just that CVS branching is not the same "cheap copies" as in
> SVN.
Do you mean that a tag is also a lazy copie like branches are ?

>  > though as I'm not a svn branch expert I may not understand something here
> (I
>  > seems easier to me to put a tag on a branch than to have to deal with multi
>  > sub-branches) ?
>
> It's the same. A "tag" is simply a branch that (by policy and
> self-discipline) is never updated,
> never changed.
For me this is 2 differents things. A tag is a named revision number (in trunk
or branches), a branch is a copy made at some point
from the trunk (initially) or another branch (thereafter)
> A "branch" is a branch that continues to grow.
>
> Think of a "tag" as a teeny tiny branch that serves as a "marker", a stub
> that never grows.
Then maybe it's only a vocabulary issue between us. You use tag for a frozen
branch, which indeed makes sense in a way.

BTW I think the time is coming to answer questions like in
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide?focusedCommentId=2604#comment-2604

What to you think, you developpers ?