Scott Gray wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> When all of this comes across to the trunk could please consider
> separating it into at least two commits, one for the integration and
> another for all this other stuff.  It'll make the commits a little
> easier to read especially when people are looking at the commit history.

As I've said countless times, git makes this easier.  You'd maintain a
branch(local clone with maybe a separate local branch).  Then, a
series of commits in that branch.  Git supports history rewriting, so
you can do things like push/pop commits and edit them.
guilt(git+quilt) can help, there are also other tools that are similiar.