On 4/12/2009, at 7:32 AM, Adam Heath wrote:

Scott Gray wrote:
Hi Hans,

When all of this comes across to the trunk could please consider
separating it into at least two commits, one for the integration and
another for all this other stuff.  It'll make the commits a little
easier to read especially when people are looking at the commit history.

As I've said countless times, git makes this easier.  You'd maintain a
branch(local clone with maybe a separate local branch).  Then, a
series of commits in that branch.  Git supports history rewriting, so
you can do things like push/pop commits and edit them.
guilt(git+quilt) can help, there are also other tools that are similiar.

I'm a couple of days into using git locally and I like it so far.
But there are a couple of things people should be aware of when considering the switch: - The initial checkout takes a long time (+9 hours on my machine) although it only ever has to be done once
- The learning curve is steeper than with svn
- The workflows are quite different from svn so be prepared to change the way you work - Setup on OS X can be a pain (you need XCode tools installed to use the git-svn bridge and if you don't have your OS X install DVD handy it's a 1GB download)
- GUI support is limited (e.g. the Eclipse plugin is at v0.6)