From: "Scott Gray" <scott.g...@hotwaxmedia.com>
On 7/12/2009, at 10:05 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

Please Scott,

Inline...

From: "Scott Gray" <scott.g...@hotwaxmedia.com>
I disagree, there always have been and always will be bugs in OFBiz, there is no escaping this fact. The only reason there are more bugs now than there were 3 years ago is because there is more community activity. Fixing the bugs in jira will not prevent new bugs from replacing them (and some of the replacements will be the same bugs we just fixed).

Don't misundersand me. I'm not worried about new bugs. I totally  understand
that this is intrinsic nature of software.
My point is only for us to give more love to these 109 issues  waiting
attention in Jira, nothing else...

I'm saying it's pointless giving them any love without writing tests for those bugs first. Every code change (even bug fixes) carries the risk of introducing new bugs and the only thing we can do to reduce that risk is to write tests. Without tests the number of bugs in jira will never do anything but increase.

Scott,

As I already said, I completly agree contiuous integration with tests running is the right way to go. We have already some tests, and for instance Ashish have got some work from them...
I see Gavin is currently working for us (commits in infra) and we are some to
push to have all things on ASF servers soon.
BTW I think this means more work for us on the future as I guess we will have
any less help than with Contegix...

But I don't agree that this should prevent us to fix existing bugs in the
meantime...

Jacques
()  ascii ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org

IMO the best thing we can do for the stability of the project is to create tests every time we create or modify a service, be it during a bug fix or while implementing new functionality. Doing so locks in the desired behavior and prevents anyone from unknowingly changing that behavior.

Yes, I plenty agree

Even without intervention, bugs naturally get fixed over time as people come to require the functionality being blocked by the bug, the key is to do everything we can to reduce the number of new bugs being created.

I totally agree, I can agree more I should say. i think I should  have used "Opened
important Jira issues" as subject :/

Jacques
()  ascii ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org

Regards
Scott
HotWax Media