Thank you Jacques for addressing this as this situation worries me
too. Although I think the power of the Ofbiz community can handle it
:-)

My suggestions would be:
- Assign volunteers and a lead to each of the components. They can
watch issues of their components and should can be consulted if
anybody wants to make changes in their neighbourhood.
- Work bottom up: start with the framework, then the core modules
(party, product, accounting, workeffort, manufactureing, order) and
finally the specialpurpose modules (I personally consider humanres and
marketing to be specialpurpose)
- Communicate changes to dependent components so they can sanitize
their components
- Don't allow code without tests
- Use branching for work in progress to maintain a stable trunk (I
prefer Git over SVN but that's another topic...)

I'm a big fan of branching, this explains why:
- Code each task (or related set of tasks) in its own branch, then you
will have the flexibility of when you would like to merge these tasks
and perform a release.
- QA should be done on each branch before it is merged to the trunk.
- By doing QA on each individual branch, you will know exactly what
caused the bug easier.
- This solution scales to any number of developers.
- This method works since branching is an almost instant operation in SVN.
- Tag each release that you perform.
- You can develop features that you don't plan to release for a while
and decide exactly when to merge them.
- For all work you do, you can have the benefit of committing your
code. If you work out of the trunk only, you will probably keep your
code uncommitted a lot, and hence unprotected and without automatic
history.
If you try to do the opposite and do all your development in the trunk
you'll be plagged by:
- Constant build problems for daily builds
- Productivity loss when a a developer commits a problem for all other
people on the project
- Longer release cycles, because you need to finally get a stable version
- Less stable releases

Best,

Jeroen van der Wal