Scott,

Good questions. Please see my comments below:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 3:28 AM, Scott Gray <scott.g...@hotwaxmedia.com>wrote:

> Hi Erwan,
>
> It'll be another couple of days before I can make an informed comment, I'm
> still very much in the learning phase.
>
> One question I do have, does anybody have selenium setup to run in a
> continuous integration environment?
> If you have lots of tests, how long to they take to run?  Is SeleniumGrid a
> good solution to shortening the time a test run takes?
> So maybe a few questions :-)

Selenium tests will run slower than normal junit or webtest tests.  One of
the primary reasons SeleniumGrid was developed was to reduce the testing
footprint created during a SeleniumRC test.  The SeleniumGrid acts as a
server for all tests which contains environment information and everything
that is needed for a SeleniumRC test to complete.  FYI, SeleniumXml is
essentially a SeleniumRC client.

SeleniumGrid would work well in a continuous integration environment and
among a team of developers.

> I guess I'm still sitting here wondering if WebTest isn't a better solution
> simply because it doesn't require a browser (just another ant task) and the
> tests run faster.  I've never used either before so I'm in the dark on these
> solutions.

WebTest was one of the first tools I looked at before jumping to Selenium.
 The syntax is very easy to use which is why I patterned the SeleniumXml
markup language to follow a WebTest syntax.

The primary reason I went with Selenium was because it is one of the only
web testing tools that let you run a tests in an actual browser.  Most web
test framework emulate a browser and often don't catch everything.  This is
especially important AJAX application that have heavy JavaScript usage.

I agree that Selenium still has some problems but it does provide a solution
that is difficult to solve with other open source technologies.

Brett