Le 15/12/2009 11:28, Scott Gray a écrit :

I guess I'm still sitting here wondering if WebTest isn't a better
solution simply because it doesn't require a browser (just another ant
task) and the tests run faster. I've never used either before so I'm in
the dark on these solutions.

Webtest is emulating a browser and does not interface tests. It's why it's quicker.

I think that those two technologies are not doing the same tests :
* webtest can simulate a process, and make it run fast and doesn't about rendering or anything. * Selenium is more an interface test, and it's why it is more slow. You need a browser, and rendering is slow (JS, CSS, ... everything needs to be displayed to validate a command).

Pros and cons for those 2 tools may be found on this page, which is a bit old (2007)...
http://mguillem.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/webtest-vs-selenium-webtest-wins-13-5/

Webtest is under an Apache2 license, but I didn't looked deeper to the files to see if everything really complies.

Both can be run by ant tasks, which is fine.

We should give a try to webtest, but we have to remember that both are different !

There is also webdriver which is a bit like webtest, and is currently integrated in selenium 2.0. But still with the issues with cssQuery and code licensed to Google...

Regards
--
Erwan de FERRIERES
www.nereide.biz