On 16/12/2009, at 6:56 AM, Erwan de FERRIERES wrote:

Le 15/12/2009 11:28, Scott Gray a écrit :

I guess I'm still sitting here wondering if WebTest isn't a better
solution simply because it doesn't require a browser (just another ant task) and the tests run faster. I've never used either before so I'm in
the dark on these solutions.

Webtest is emulating a browser and does not interface tests. It's why it's quicker.

I think that those two technologies are not doing the same tests :
* webtest can simulate a process, and make it run fast and doesn't about rendering or anything. * Selenium is more an interface test, and it's why it is more slow. You need a browser, and rendering is slow (JS, CSS, ... everything needs to be displayed to validate a command).

I don't really see the difference, webtest still processes javascript and css and is actually stricter about html validity. They both ultimately use various forms of dom navigation to make assertions and perform actions. What does selenium actually do with the interface during the tests that makes it different?

Pros and cons for those 2 tools may be found on this page, which is a bit old (2007)...
http://mguillem.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/webtest-vs-selenium-webtest-wins-13-5/

Webtest is under an Apache2 license, but I didn't looked deeper to the files to see if everything really complies.

Both can be run by ant tasks, which is fine.

Well the difference here being that webtest is only using ant and java, you don't have to have a browser installed (and customized) to run the tests, anywhere you can run OFBiz you can run webtests. How difficult is it to setup a regular web server to run selenium tests?

At the end of the day my only concern is that if the tests are difficult run then hardly anyone ever will and as we saw with the JUnit tests, once they stop being maintained they quickly become worthless.

We should give a try to webtest, but we have to remember that both are different !

There is also webdriver which is a bit like webtest, and is currently integrated in selenium 2.0. But still with the issues with cssQuery and code licensed to Google...

Regards
--
Erwan de FERRIERES
www.nereide.biz