I have done some more reading on Apache 3rd party licensing and after
some careful reading, I believe that Hans' use of BIRT is acceptably
within the policy. The latest copy of the policy is available at
"http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html"; with the key area being
"Category B: Reciprocal Licenses". The important phrase in that section
that we seem to have missed is the reference to code "not directly
consumed at runtime in source
<http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#define-source> form". To me,
that phrase says that source which is "consumed at runtime in source
form" is not required to be shipped as a binary.

The policy does suggest that source under a reciprocal license should be
clearly marked as such, primarily to avoid it (or dependencies on it)
being intermingled with other ASL code. I think that since BIRT is
packaged as its own component we are well on the way to this. We may
just want to consider whether this code belongs in "framework" as
opposed to "applications" or "specialpurpose". At the least, we should
include a NOTICE-BIRT-IS-EPL file or something at the root of the component.

Those issues aside, my opinion is that including the EPL licensed code
is legitimate.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
e...@brainfood.com