On Jan 3, 2010, at 3:53 AM, Bruno Busco wrote:

> When I sayd "at least me" I should have said "To implement the
> framework-only distribution end-user requirements here
> http://cwiki.apache.org/OFBIZ/framework-only-distribution.html";
> We should agree or change what is written there and then work to implement it.

Please keep in mind that is just your document. There is no such thing as
implicit agreement, and if there are disagreements on the mailing list IMO that
is just as valid as someone going in and changing your document (and most
people would probably consider it less rude too, which is maybe why no one has
made changes there).

BTW, looking through those... where are the CMS related requirements? What
sorts of business activities drive these requirements?

Actually, to be more accurate, I wouldn't call any of the things you listed
there requirements, they all look like designs to me, ie solutions to the
problems rather than the problems themselves.

> The framework-only work should of course generate two workproducts:
> - A standalone framework implementing the requirements
> - A set of additional components, each with its declared dependencies,
> that can be plugged in the framework-only installation.
>
> For my next project all I would like to do is to select the newly
> needed components and plug them in the framework-only.
>
> The sets of components framework+party+content+commonext should give
> us a basic configuration that, from the user POV should be similar to
> a CMS system but powered by OFBiz.

And what about those who not only don't care either way about CMS, but really
don't want to bother with CMS in the system? One way or another you're sure to
get complaints...

> This CMS configuration, IMO, should have the greatest number of
> potential users and, for this reason, should receive a greater
> contribution from a greater community.

That is an interesting opinion, and it's great that you have been looking into
this. Could you share what you have based this opinion on, it might be
enlightening to others too.

> This configuration is also what we would need to run the OFBiz web
> site itself (if we are still interested in getting this up and
> running).
>
> Of course, as you say, there are some things in the selected
> components (framework, party, content, commonext) that are not
> required. These parts are, for sure, the ones that do not let the
> database to be even created because depends on other components. There
> are entities that should be moved away from party as the complete
> org.ofbiz.party.agreement and org.ofbiz.party.need sets, some other
> that should be extended in other components.

Again, that's based on your designs which are based on requirements you haven't
shared yet.

> So coming to your question: "what should we change in how we're doing things?"
> May be nothing. Just discuss/agree on the requirements for the
> framework-only and then start working on a branch.

That sounds like a change to me...

One way or another if we're moving things around, especially moving higher
level stuff into the framework, then we should definitely discuss it first and
even try to reach a consensus around it.

For example, one specific idea might be to move some of the email stuff from
content to the framework somewhere. Sending and receiving emails is pretty
low-level, though that doesn't mean we'd want to move all of it as the
CommunicationEvent stuff is definitely higher level and ties to many many other
things in the system, and that's a much harder line to draw.

For the most part the dividing line between framework and the base applications
is that business-driven things stay in the apps, and technical facilitation and
interfacing lives in the framework. If we want to change that, it would be a
big change, and you can certainly expect some disagreement.

On the other hand, you can certainly work on decoupling in the base
applications in order to isolate the parts that you want to. They'll stay in
the applications directory, but you can certainly make changes to make things
run fine in spite of deleting or disabling other components.

-David