--- On Sun, 1/3/10, David E Jones <d...@me.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
> > --- On Sun, 1/3/10, David E Jones <d...@me.com>
> wrote:
> >> One way or another if we're moving things around,
> >> especially moving higher level stuff into the
> framework,
> >> then we should definitely discuss it first and
> even try to
> >> reach a consensus around it.
> >>
> >> For example, one specific idea might be to move
> some of the
> >> email stuff from content to the framework
> somewhere. Sending
> >> and receiving emails is pretty low-level, though
> that
> >> doesn't mean we'd want to move all of it as the
> >> CommunicationEvent stuff is definitely higher
> level and ties
> >> to many many other things in the system, and
> that's a much
> >> harder line to draw.
> >>
> >> For the most part the dividing line between
> framework and
> >> the base applications is that business-driven
> things stay in
> >> the apps, and technical facilitation and
> interfacing lives
> >> in the framework. If we want to change that, it
> would be a
> >> big change, and you can certainly expect some
> disagreement.
> >
> > This is the same thing I tried to suggest. The
> framework should include only those things needed to get an
> application to run, and not include application code.
> >
> > From my perspective, sending and receiving emails is
> an application. It could run on top of the framework, and
> other applications could utilize it.
>
> Aren't most programs that run on top of an operating system
> applications? How does that help us draw the line?
>
> Also if email is a higher level function that should only
> be supported on an application level, what about MCA rules
> and email libraries in the Java API? Aren't those both
> pretty low level things?
>
> Doesn't that muddy the distinction more than clarify it?

I'm sure everyone has their own mental picture of where that line is drawn.

In my mind, I picture the framework composed of only the entity engine, service
engine, the rendering engine, the security framework, and the webtools and
example applications.

Email could be a component that runs on top of the framework and that other
components use.

In my mind that is a clear distinction. There is no doubt others won't see it
that way.