From my perspective, I don't see much chance in the Flat Grey visual theme being abandoned. Enough people use it that it will get the attention it needs. If Ryan isn't available to fix something, I can fix it. If I'm not available, someone else could fix it, etc.

-Adrian

On 1/6/2011 6:02 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
Ryan,

Your screen copies at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4092
looks really great! Looking forward for the implementation...

My concerns are that maybe you will not have enough time later to keep
up with possible bugs or other issues. Look for instance what happened
to Bizzness Time https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2398.

Even if it looks a bit old, we have a theme which works great. Why
taking any risks with it? Also I can't see any issues with having more
themes. The more we have the better, I like to have the choice. Some
(rare) people prefer to use old things, see games machines or
synthesizers for instance (I still love the DX-7 sound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_DX7
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/dx7.php)

There are any evolved version of Flat Grey yet. So this could be the 1st
modern one still using the RTL mechanism introduced by Adrian. Just
choice the name!

Thanks

Jacques

Ryan Foster wrote:
IMO I see no reason to have a "Flat Grey Evolution" theme. Adrian is
right, the Flat Grey theme hasn't had a visual update in
years and it looks very dated. It needs some love. Let's not add
another improved version, let's just improve the version we
have now. I think that is more efficient and more beneficial in the
long run.

As far as the tabs go, we can still keep a horizontal, tab-like
navigation without actually having the tabs look like tabs.
Because, the absolutely do look terrible displayed in two rows.
Adrian, I would be happy to collaborate with you on this. I
think I have some ideas that could help. Email me directly if you want
to hash out some ideas outside of this mailing list
discussion.

Consequently, as far as new admin themes go, I guess I can use this as
an opportunity as well to drop a teaser about a new theme
I have been working on already for some time now that I honestly hope
will become the go-to theme for scalability and
customization, and that will eventually replace the Flat Grey theme
altogether. The new theme scales down very well to 800x600
and has minimal styling for maximum flexibility and customization.
Stay tuned for more details in the next few days...

Ryan L. Foster
801.671.0769
cont...@ryanlfoster.com