As a next step, after all these threads about the slim down will settle down,
we should probably, as a community, start to prepare the plan of action, aka
roadmap (we could use Jira for it): add there all the actionable tasks coming
out of this discussions; then, in these mailing lists we should also start to
discuss, as a community, what are the other priorities/goals for the next few
months of the project. We should probably start slowly with some cleanup tasks
and refactoring of old code, bug fixes etc... but we could also come up with
some more interesting priorities (like JCR or reporting tools): then, based on
the priorities identified by the community we will start to explore how to
design them; if an agreement is found we will add the tasks to the roadmap as
well; then we will have a clear and shared plan of actions to keep us all busy
for a while
If migration to portlets will be a priority item is something that should be
discussed with the community: the community is small and it should stay focused
on a few key goals at the time; if the community will decide that the migration
to portlets is something desirable then we will definitely explore this concept.

Jacopo