comment in-line

Le 28/11/2016 à 22:43, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
> Hi Sharan,
>
> Thank you for starting this important topic. OFBiz definitely needs
> strategic objectives and a sense of direction. To try to formulate a
> strategy, I would suggest perhaps we highlight where I think OFBiz delivers
> value and where it does not, and based on that provide a few suggestions on
> moving forward.
>
> OFBiz main value proposition
> - A very robust domain model based on the data model resource book.
> - A library of services to control and manipulate the data model.
> - A DSL that hides and abstracts away the complexity of everything (services,
> entities, widgets, routing, etc...)
>    and makes it easy for adopters to provide value quickly.
  - A plugin system AND a plugin strong organization
> - A business automation suite.
>
> What OFBiz is not (yet?)
> ------------------------------------
> Currently OFBiz may provide some of the below, but it is not the main value
> proposition.
>
> - A web framework
> - A general purpose programming environment
I prefer : A general purpose programming and parametrized environment
> - An ERP system ready for immediate use by business owners (not geared for
> end-users)
  - A business functions library usable to build a Vertical Business ERP
solution

> Where should we focus?
> -----------------------------------
> If you agree with the above assessment on OFBiz's value proposition, then I
> think we need to focus our limited resources and efforts and utilize the
> help of the community where it provides the highest value for effort. To
> start this discussion I suggest the list of below strategic objectives to
> try and move forward over the next 1-2 years at which time we can review
> and amend the strategy:
>
> - UI redesign: I think the user interface is one of the weakest points in
> our project and is probably the most critical item for adoption because at
> the end this is what people _see_. Having non-technical people download
> OFBiz, fire it up and start using it immediately without the intervention
> of a consultant or a developer is key to bigger adoption. Bigger adoption
> in turn leads to a more thriving community and business built around OFBiz.
> Hence we need a fully redesigned user interface that is not a reference for
> developers but rather a usable interface immediately to someone who needs
> an ERP platform for their business.
I propose to change the last sentence by :
... developers but rather a usable interface immediately
to demonstrate ofbiz usability and flexibility
to someone who needs an ERP platform for their business.

Maybe the difference at which I want to point is only on the use case
definition to implement on the OOTB kernel

> - Documentation: We have a lot of documentation resources, but they are
> unorganized, scattered and outdated. Documentation is another key driver of
> adoption and I think a significant amount of work needs to go into
> organizing and cleaning up our documentation. We need a unified resource
> for getting information. I really like for example the documentation of
> Gradle found in docs.gradle.org which breaks things down beautifully into a
> user guide, a DSL reference and JavaDocs with very good sub-categorization
> and hyperlinks between everything.
+10 for
> Documentation is another key driver of
> adoption and I think a significant amount of work needs to go into
> organizing and cleaning up our documentation.
But also at the technical architecture and tools available for the writers.

Documentation (creating / modifying / reading / customizing / organizing)
should be part of the
" general purpose programming and parametrized environment"
Documentation should be usable as help for key-users/consultant/technical,
directly from "ofbiz applications".