On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
slidingfilame...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Instead of firing up an entire maven repository we can just create source
> branches for the plugins, and publish to JCenter with an OFBiz account.
> This is a simpler faster way moving forward. [...]

Hi Taher,

I am not sure I understand what you mean with "firing up a maven repo" but
my proposal was not that: instead I was proposing to explore the
possibility to use the existing official repo offered by the ASF to
distribute Maven plugins.
Sharan and Jacques had a quick chat today with some Infra guys to explore
the options available (I will let them add more info if I am missing
something).

In my opinion the following points should be considered:
* each plugin created by the OFBiz project is actually a "product" and
should be treated as a product
* as an ASF project/community we can only distribute products that we
create and publish/release with a formal vote; the OFBiz project cannot
distribute code that is not formally approved/released
* the primary distribution channel for the products published by the OFBiz
project must be owned/managed by the ASF Infra; it is ok to distribute the
OFBiz project's products using different alternative channels (like the
mirrors release network leveraged by all the ASF projects) provided that
the primary channel is owned by the ASF.

All the above doesn't apply to third party plugins: for them there are no
restrictions as they are not distributed by the OFBiz project. Users can
download them, possibly using the OFBiz plugin API, and third party
companies can create them and upload to public/private repositories as they
like.
As an ASF project we will not endorse, promote, approve, distribute or
release third-party plugins; but as a project we could facilitate and
encourage third party companies to create/publish/promote their plugins by
improving the tools (e.g. the plugin API) that enable end users to install
them in their OFBiz instance.