On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2013, at 11:19 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Sure, 90% was just my suggestion to raise the bar from 80%. But to stick
>>> with 100% is much easier as it's all or nothing.

>>> Yes, if the language is no longer supported actively then we shouldn't
>>> release it.

>>> But then we have to be strict as 99% is also near to 100%. ;-)

>>> Good point, +1.
>>>
>>> Do you think about a L10N release somewhen between releases or as a RC where
>>> it's clear from the beginning that it will not be released?
>>>

>> In this specific case, for AOO 4.0,  I'm suggesting we release any
>> additional languages that are 100% on September 16th.  This is similar
>> to what we did for AOO 3.4.1.  After that date I think we then wait
>> for AOO 4.1.
>
> I don't disagree with the policy of deadlines, but why September 16th? If
> some languages are ready sooner (like Traditional Chinese) it ought to be
> possible to have an earlier set. Perhaps we make it once a month?

My impression was that several key people are planning on taking
vacation after AOO 4.0 is released.   Nothing magic about the Sept
16th date.  But there is something magic about August ;-)

> We also need to understand that there will be a certain length of time from a
> deadline to a language pack release. Is it one week?

Right.  I was suggesting that date as a release date.   We'd need to
work backwards to set translation deadlines, etc.

>> You ask about an RC where it is not clear whether it will be released?
>>  We may run into that issue if we have a beta for AOO 4.1.  I don't
>> think all translations are complete for a beta.  (Or are they?)  If so
>> it is possible for a beta to include a language that never is included
>> in the final release. This would occur if the translators do not
>> finish the translation.   This may sound cruel, but we can use this
>> for recruitment.  When we publish the beta we can note that the
>> translation is not finished and that volunteers are welcome.
>
> I think that we should be careful to have a UI and Help freeze in advance of
> releases in order to give plenty of time for language teams to assure that
> they can meet our high standard of 100%.
>
> If we are going to co-ordinate many small teams then we need to establish
> schedules and try to commit to them. (As Jürgen has done for this RC.)

Exactly.

-Rob