PATHANGI JANARDHANAN JATINSHRAVAN wrote:
I picked Open Office since it is something I use daily (almost) and would like
to contribute to.

Hi, this is very good news!

The best way to start right now is to help with the final steps for the 4.1.2 release. This will allow you to get familiar with Bugzilla, the tool that all developers use to share patches and track progress. So you will be able to see patches and gradually do more with the code.

First, take a look at http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-qa.html just to have a generic introduction. Then, register for a Bugzilla account as instructed in that page.

And then you should:

1) Download and use the development version 4.1.2-RC2, available from https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/ ; currently, the English version for Windows is at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-rc2-r1707648/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.2_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe

2) Use the following link to find a list of issues to be checked: http://s.apache.org/KL1

The aim of QA is to bring issues from RESOLVED state to VERIFIED. To do that, you can just add a comment in each issue that is not already VERIFIED or CLOSED and state if it works for you or not. Some are quite easy, so I would recommend that you quickly scan what needs to be done and start from the easy ones.

A comment is enough for the being, but you can then get permission to flag issues as CLOSED or VERIFIED yourself by asking on this list.

Regards,
  Andrea.