On 18/10/2015 PATHANGI JANARDHANAN JATINSHRAVAN wrote:
I have also cloned the repository from svn so that I can look at the
code changes as I look at the issues on bugzilla. I hope that this can
get me some familiarity with the codebase.

It will, and it is a good way to start.
Do you prefer git? Just clone https://github.com/apache/openoffice (the official mirror; code is OK, other features/stats are mostly broken). I recommend the AOO410 branch since focus is on that for the rest of October, until we release OpenOffice 4.1.2.

I am working on a machine with Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10). I forgot
to  mention this in the previous email.

This is good! We definitely welcome more Mac developers.

I am basically hoping that after getting to grips with the basics, I
can get to working with someone as a mentor of sorts on a decent sized
feature/module.

Finding something for you to complete is not very problematic, several
of us have two or three (or more!) projects that they will be able to do
but lack time to complete. So once you get the basics right, and you have built OpenOffice successfully, ask back for ideas (of course ask for help if you need help with the build!). This is better than the other way round: we won't have mentors available for any ideas you might have; it is easier for you to ask what unfinished projects
people are available to mentor.

Also, is there a good GUI client for SVN? My beloved Source Tree
seems  to have issues with svn.

I've always used the command-line one. If you are more familiar with git, just use the git mirror (or git-svn).

Regards,
  Andrea.