We still need PackageMaker, from what I can tell, which is
really, really deprecated. Has anyone tried porting that
function to Packages or OSX's own pkgbuild?

But yes, I do have PackageMaker installed and worked around
the hardcoded path in configure... Why it does a strings on epm
and looks for a hardcoded path is beyond me. :)