On Saturday, October 17, 2020 04:56 EDT, Pedro Lino
<pedro.l...@mailbox.org.INVALID> wrote:
 Hi all

> On 10/17/2020 9:11 AM Matthias Seidel <matthias.sei...@hamburg.de> wrote:

> My point is that one should do the work in ODF and only export to
> "foreign" formats if needed.

+1
This is how Gimp works. You can import any format, work on it using the
program's own format XCF (not Photoshop's PSD to please the majority) and in
the end you can export to whatever format (PNG, JPG, etc)

In fact the "foreign" formats don't even show up in the Save options. For me
this is the best solution!

On the other hand (as it happens in LibreOffice) exporting to Microsoft's XML
will never be perfect (Microsoft will make sure!) and there will always be
people complaining but it is far better that there is a single conversion
before sending the document!
(1) Sometimes contractually obligated to deliver some products in DOCX format.
I am pretty good at knowing what things will export properly to DOCX format and
which will not (just because I have done it often enough). Only once have I had
a client (it was government DoD) that would accept (and even required) and ODT
file.

(2) Frequently exchange documents with clients that will use/require DOCX.

(3) I frequently work with people who are better off not having to deal with
the extra steps of converting between formats.

All else being equal, if you fall into the categories above, I usually tell
them to use LibreOffice because it will natively support reading and writing
DOCX format. When I ask people why they chose LibreOffice over Apache
OpenOffice, DOCX support is the reason usuall listed.

Andrew Pitonyak