"Kohei Yoshida" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The first thing that caught my eye is that, you guys are switching
> from using tab characters for indentation to using spaces.

Hi Kohei,

right - only that this is a (maybe not that prominently stated) rule
since the beginning of the project. To be precise, this rule requests
tab-free lines *whereever a file has changed*. Not converting whole
files to tab-free indentation is simply common sense, else doing any
CVS merge would be one hell of an effort.

(Hint to the svn team - wouldn't that be a nice opportunity to
batch-convert, if/when doing the initial import?)

> I'm actually fine one way or the other (though quite a number of
> developers I've worked with prefer using spaces for indentation),
> but I'm curious about the reasoning for this change.

Readability, even if you've only gnu textutils at hand. And good to
hear that folks seem to agree with us there...

> Also, variable naming scheme is not specified.  Is that intended?  I'm
> personally of the opinion that variable naming style is best left to
> the developers.  So, if it's intentionally left out, I'd welcome it,
> though I'm sure some folks might disagree.

You've hit the point exactly. There are some rules that require
consistency and easy discernibility of local and member variables, and
that's about all that needs to be said about that. Whether a member
starts with m_ or with ma is largely irrelevant - as long as it is
used consistently (module boundaries would be a natural border
here). Historically, OOo modules differ on that, to some extent, and
it would be IMO be a waste of time to enforce one single naming
scheme.

Thanks for your input,

-- Thorsten