Rüdiger Timm schrieb:

> Kay Ramme - Sun Germany - Hamburg wrote:
>> FYI
>>
>> Matthias Huetsch, Malte Timmermann, Michael Brauer and I recently had a
>> discussions regarding how to deal with binfilter in case of incompatible
>> changes of modules used by binfilter.
>>
>> We came up with the following recipe: For every request of an additional
>> module for / change of binfilter the following steps are to be tried in
>> the following order:
>>
>>    1. Check if the dependency could not be removed / avoided completely.
>> - For the above change this means, to verify that basctl is indeed
>> needed for loading / storing documents.
>>    2. Copy the code which is needed only. - For the above change this
>> means, that the serializers (import / export) may just be copied out of
>> basctl to binfilter (respectively they may be just reimplemented if this
>> is easier :-) .
>>    3. Copy the whole module. - If the target module is reasonable small,
>> the whole module may be copied to binfilter. For the above change this
>> would mean to copy basctl to binfilter.
>>    4. Adapt binfilter to the incompatible changes done in the dependent
>> module. - For the above change this would mean, to adapt binfilter to
>> the changes done in basctl.
>>    5. Do not change the dependent module incompatible. - For the above
>> change this would mean, not to change basctl incompatible.
>>

>> I created a module page for the binfilter module in the OOo wiki and
>> copied the receipt to this page as well:
>>
>>  http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Framework/Modules/binfilter
>>

>> Hope that helps
>>
>>   Kay
>>

> That's a joke, isn't it?
>  From my point of view of course it has to be (according to your numeration)
> 1.
> 4.
> 5.
> 2.
> 3.
>
> Why would you copy additional stuff into binfilter? We did enormous
> efforts to get that monster stripped, and you plan to blow it up again.
> Why? If someone does incompatible changes he must do all necessary
> adaptions in modules above. Regardless of the name of those modules. Why
> change code in 'sw' but leave 'binfilter/bf_sw' untouched?
> OK, there may be rare cases where no one is able to adapt stone aged
> binfilter code with reasonable effort. But that is an evidence of
> incapacity and should be the strict exception.
> At least that's my understanding. Please correct me where I am wrong.

IMHO you have a somewhat constricted perspective. Build times are
important but also important is avoiding to burn development resources
for maintaining code you don't want to touch anymore.

I think the problem is that you can't give a fixed order for 2,3 and 4.
This must be checked for every single case. Perhaps Kay should point
this out in the wiki.

But IMHO it's clear that option 1 is by far the best and should be aimed
for as often as possible and that option 5 should be considered only in
desperate cases.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".