One of the advantages of the the vector-based map would be the multilingualism.

For instance at the moment the OSM map of the Middle East is basically useless for me as I do not know the Arabic alphabet yet. But as far as I understand and as I heard at the conference the vector-based map would allow the choice of a language of the map itself.

There are so many disputes about languages, so an ability to just select whatever language one wants makes it not just a new feature but speaking figuratively an advent of a new brave world.

brgds
Oleksiy