Of course it would be possible to do, but the result would look worse than our current maps.

regards
Peter

Am 30.10.2015 um 12:41 schrieb Colin Smale:
Can't we have a multi-lingual map by overlaying a base tile with a
transparent text layer in the chosen language? We wouldn't *need* vector
tiles for that, just a bit more storage (bitmap-based text layers should
compress nicely) and clients which can handle the selection and display
of the extra layer, which is pretty commonplace these days anyway).

--colin

On 2015-10-30 12:29, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:

I've heard from the OSM operations team's member at the conference
that it is the question of the servers' infrastructure cost.

But if we have a vector-based map itself language selection, that we
could just add tags /name:fr/ or /name: ru/ and have the OSM map of
say New York in French or in Russian for tourists. Or map of Siberia
in German also for tourists, Middle East in English, etc. without any
additions cost on the server side. It is not that difficult to add
such multi-language tags. There could be also the map in Basque,
Catalan, Kurdish, Scots and other smaller (by number of speakers)
languages without any additional cost and without a civil conflict.

I realize that mobile hardware is not enough advanced for that yet and
vector-based technology is only in an development stage.

brgds
Oleksiy