files, but you can configure it to generate from SQL on the fly (very slow).

As a path forward, I see 3 key areas and 3 descisions to make (assuming
positive answer to "do we actually need this?")

#1 OSM download -> SQL tables
We have used osm2pgsql to produce default table structure. Yet, it is not
the most efficient way to parse data afterwards, and Paul has been working
on the new ClearTables structure [3].
TBD: We would need to agree on a prefered table structure for this project.

#2 SQL -> Vectors
This is very similar to the set of SQL statements that osm-carto uses to
generate data. Mapbox is now on version 6 of vtile structure, so it is
obviously a hard problem to nail down. [4] We could make it compatible, or
come up with a different structure.
TBD: vtile structure

#3 Vectors -> (a) PNG server side and (b) WebGL client side
If #2 produces Mapbox-compatible vtiles, we can easily reuse all the open
source styles Mapbox produced, both MSS and WebGL, or create new ones. The
problem here is that MSS & WebGL are different languages, and keeping them
in sync with Mapbox Studios (Classic & GL) is hard. Richard Fairhurst is
working on Glug[5] to simplify this.  Eventually it could be just the WebGL
style and Kartotherian could render WebGL on the server side if needed.
TBD: styling language

For Wikipedia, we would obviously need a cleaner map, so that editors can
add article-specific info to it. But it could be drawn from the same vtiles
as for osm.

[1] https://www.mapbox.com/mapbox-studio-classic
[2] https://github.com/kartotherian/kartotherian-core
[3] https://github.com/pnorman/ClearTables