David, thanks for your recommendations, I'll consider them strongly as they are
aligned with other replies. Could you please tell me if you managed to get the
debugger to work by following this guide
(http://www.epic-ide.org/guide/ch06.php)? I'm interested to know it you managed
to attach the debugger to Apache HTTPD or if OTRS was ran via some other web
server. Please see Martin's and Rocco's replies
(http://lists.otrs.org/pipermail/dev/2012-September/002543.html
http://lists.otrs.org/pipermail/dev/2012-September/002542.html)

Just tried it. Doesn’t seem to give the ability to trace spawned processes that
are not owned by your UID, so I’m not sure if it would be helpful.  I can trace
the httpd process, but not the subprocesses AFAICT. I’ll keep messing with it
for a bit – now you’ve got me intrigued.
In our environment (as I mentioned) we test in a separate VM, so a workstation
IDE wouldn’t have access to the actual HTTP daemon.  (We don’t deploy
development tools on copies of production infrastructure as a matter of policy,
so we wouldn’t have them in development snapshots either.)