On 27 July 2011 20:37, Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> If you want the sub-tasks to use the same executor service, you can just
>>> pass that service instance to the sub-task constructor.  If you pass the
>>> fixed thread pool service to each of your individual tasks, you will get
>>> the behavior you want.
>>
>> Yes, that is what I discovered.  I end up having to tell the task how
>> it will be executed when it is created.
>
> The same is true of any task - you provide the executor service to the
> constructor. A TaskGroup or TaskSequence is just a task that executes other
> tasks.

Yeah, I understand that, and it is part of the reason that I thought
these classes would do something a bit different and that is where
their value would come from.

> Might it make more sense to pass the executor service to the execute()
> method, rather than the constructor? That way, the service can easily be
> propagated to the sub-tasks.

I think that would certainly add value.
For now though, I think I'll end up rolling my own rather than use
these, especially as they are not used elsewhere within Pivot.

>> But by then I couldn't really see what these classes offer.
>
> They offer exactly what was described earlier in the thread - a means for
> executing a set of tasks in sequence or in parallel.

Unfortunately this thread is not referenced in the javadocs :)
As this thread's existence proves, the javadocs still left me with questions.

I just didn't (and still don't) see much difference between these
classes and other utility methods or classes that have been
rejected/declined as not offering much that an individual developer
couldn't quickly knock up themselves, to their exact specifications.

So rightly or wrongly, I was essentially judging these classes with my
preconceived notions gained from reading the mailing lists.