Robbie Gemmell wrote:
I can see what you are saying and thus agree that it would be beneficial for
the build system in general to always generate the release style artifacts.
However I don't see that this means we shouldn't use what we have at our
disposal now in order to give our users a better experience than we currently
are.

I'm saying more than just always generate the release style artifacts, they need to be generated in such a way that starting up a devel server is using the same scripting and artifacts that the end user encounters when they attempt the same sort of exercise from the release tarball. Moreover I'm saying that there should be no such thing as "release style artifacts", only build artifacts, and the various release tarballs should simply be archives (either whole or in part) of the build artifacts.

And on top of all this it needs to be simple, fast, and properly do incremental builds so that it's actually usable for those of us who have chosen not to participate in this passing IDE fad. ;)

I don't want to seem discouraging, I agree with your goals, I'm just particular about how we get there and I'm not eager to pile another quick hack on top of things. Doing all this without hacks shouldn't be terribly difficult as long as we figure out what we want first and choose something sensible.

--Rafael