Robbie Gemmell wrote:
I'm not meaning to suggest doing any complex transformations, rather using what
is already there. We have single-component packages that we already release
separately for all these items, I'm just talking about whacking the relevant
ones in a new tar and calling job done, instead of having a mashup that
contains things people don't want or that can't even be used together.

My issue with this is that the single-component packages weren't done according to the "philosophy" of the build system, and as such the process for producing component release artifacts diverges somewhat significantly from the process for producing build artifacts. So while what you suggest might not involve additional complex transformations, it does result in something that I would prefer to avoid, which is two separate systems, one for producing build artifacts, and the other for producing release artifacts.

--Rafael