I think you have misunderstood what I meant by that entirely, as by "the build
system in general to always generate the release style artifacts" I meant
exactly what you are suggesting, that the build system should be modified to
generate something we can simply take a (partial) tarball of and end up with
what we release...ie release style. The reason there is anything else in place
right now is that they arent, IMO.

Robbie