2009/12/9 Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>:
> Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>
>> I think you have misunderstood what I meant by that entirely, as by "the
>> build system in general to always generate the release style artifacts" I
>> meant exactly what you are suggesting, that the build system should be
>> modified to generate something we can simply take a (partial) tarball of and
>> end up with what we release...ie release style. The reason there is anything
>> else in place right now is that they arent, IMO.
>
> Sorry, I see how you meant that now. My mistake. Clearly I've been too eager
> to rant recently. ;)
>
> --Rafael

As the one who modified our current Java build system to produce
'release' artefacts I can say it is very easy to generate a packaged
that contains the dependecies for a module. Add 1 line to the module's
build.xml:

<target name="release-bin" depends="release-bin-tasks"/>

That said I undestand the desire to have a directory that we then just
tar up for release. However, the thought that tar-ing a directory is
in some way better than using the properties of the build system to
make a tar is some what erroneous. There is no reason that the two
cannot be the same. I have to say I have NEVER used the files in the
build directory and the fact that all the jars end up in the lib dir
and so get put in to qpid-all.jar makes for a very dangerous situation
IMO. Testing with this setup can result in runtime dependencies not
being reflected by the build system.

I would be all for having the release artefacts being built in their
own build directories build/broker, build/client, build/qmf, etc. I'm
totally open to suggestions on how we can do this I simply used the
build system for the task last time as it has knowledge of all the
library dependencies and shipping jars that we don't need as part of
our packages is quite unhelpful, forcing these on to the class path
via qpid-all.jar as we do in the current build directory is just a
receipe for disaster.

Now I feel I may have rant a bit, that wasn't really my intention. I
mearly wanted to point out that if we want to do component releases
form the Java directory for 0.6 it would take less that 2minutes to
sort out. So I think it is a totally doable.

Regards
Martin

--
Martin Ritchie