I'm not very experienced with spinning up servers.  The CI server we are using
is effectively free, based on a generous donation from Microsoft of MSDN
accounts to ASF committers.  So I leave it up 24/7, and share the RDP access on
private@.  I think any other ASF committer could do the same.  IIRC, if that
server actually is stopped, I have to use my personal (unshared) MSDN
credentials to start it again.   AIUI, if I actually paid for the server, it
would cost me to leave it running even if it didn't run jobs between releases.

Is that what you are basically saying?  I think it might be best if another
committer got a CI server going via the MS donation and could leave it up 24/7.

-Alex