OK, that's pretty much how I understand Azure as well.  The key thing is that
"running" includes time where the CI server is not running any Jenkins jobs.
The CI Server steps might take only a few hours of actual server time, but
there is time where the RM is verifying artifacts locally so you'd be paying
for that or the RM would have to keep shutting down and restarting.

Seems like it would be cheaper/simpler to get the free MSDN account and leave
it running.

-Alex