My experience is with AWS.

I assume Microsoft has similar offerings, but I don’t have experience with
Azure.

AWS has on-demand EC2 instances which you pay for only the actual time that
they are running.[1]

Instances can be started and stopped via command line (or via the web
interface) as long as you have valid credentials to do so.

For example: an m5.4xlarge instance has 16 cores and costs about $1.5 per hour.
On a machine like that, a full build would probably take less than 10 minutes.
It’s probably possible to do a full release with only a few hours of server
time.

Leaving a server like that running all the time would get expensive, but if
it’s just spun up for releases, you’d get very fast builds at a reasonable
price.

I’d be happy to pay $10-$50 (and possibly more) per release to make the release
process painless for the RM.

[1]https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/