hanks for volunteering to be release manager!

The artifacts to be voted on will be in the following directory (or
something very much like it):

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/sdap/apache-sdap-0.4.5a56-rc0/

with
* “dev” being the place for candidate releases (to be replaced by “release”
when the release is final)
* “sdap” being the project name (prefixed with “incubator/“ while sdap is
incubating)
* “apache-sdap” being the component
* “0.4.5a56” being the version
* “rc0” being the release candidate label

On release, you will copy the artifacts to

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/sdap/apache-sdap-0.4.5a56/

Note that ‘dev’ became ‘release’ and the ‘rc0’ label was removed. And by
the time you release, you'll also need a KEYS file similar to the one in
the bRPC project:

  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/brpc/KEYS

Browse https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/ and you’ll see that all
projects use this directory structure.

Let’s look at the artifacts that were in Calcite’s last release. In the
directory
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/calcite/apache-calcite-1.31.0-rc2/ sh
you’ll see the following files:

 * apache-calcite-1.31.0-src.tar.gz # source tar ball
 * apache-calcite-1.31.0-src.tar.gz.asc # armored signature generated by PGP
 * apache-calcite-1.31.0-src.tar.gz.sha512 # SHA512 checksum of the
src.tar.gz file

SDAP will need equivalent files.

Now, how to write to dist.apache.org? That web server is a view onto an ASF
source code repository managed by the Subversion source control system. ASF
uses it for content management of releases.

First, install subversion. "sudo apt-get install subversion” or similar.

Then checkout the tree:

  svn co https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/sdap/trunk sdap
  cd sdap
  mkdir apache-sdap-0.4.5a56-rc0

Create some files, then check them in:

  svn add apache-sdap-0.4.5a56-rc0
  svn ci -m’Uploading release candidate Apache SDAP sdap-0.4.5a56-rc0 to
dev area’ apache-sdap-0.4.5a56-rc0

These instructions are from memory, so there might be a few mistakes.
Hopefully you get the general idea. Do some Google searches and you’ll
probably find the release instructions used by other projects.

You'll need to log into subversion using your ASF username and password,
but I don’t remember the details.

Be sure to write a ‘how to’ so that the next release manager can follow
your steps, and add it to the source code when you’re done. And maybe one
or two shell scripts.

I also recommend that you create a bug with the title ‘Release SDAP
0.4.5a56’. It will be a useful place to have discussions, link to other
bugs, release notes, etc.

Julian