Long options are dashed-case, following the GNU convention. POSIX only
specifies single character options. The “—“ prefix for long options is a GNU
invention, as far as I know. Older Unix commands with long option names, e.g.
find, only use a single dash.

https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Argument-Syntax.html
https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap12.html

wunder