On 2/24/2024 09:34, Eric Pugh wrote:
I wanted to get the communities input on formatting of long options for the
Solr CLI.   I noticed on https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-cli/ that
their examples all are —dashed-case.

However, we have —solrUrl or —zkHost as our pattern.   Though in working on the
PostTool, I used —solr-update-url as the parameter because I had been reading
the commons-cli docs...

I’d like to get this sorted so that I can get
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-16824 over the finish line.   So
please do speak up with preferences!   (And please let’s not support both!)

I like there to be a single character option and a kebab-case option. So -z and --zk-host. Long options like find uses, such as -name, can be OK, but if you're going for standardization, I would just stick with the first two.

Some will argue that this is the way gnu does things, not the way that the old unix gods did it. I say this: By using bash, we are already heavily in the gnu world, I see no reason to avoid going all the way in.

I imagine you're only considering this for version 10. Breaking user-created scripts would be a bad thing to do in a minor release.

Thanks,
Shawn