From: Simon Laws
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 2:35 PM
To: dev@tuscany.apache.org
Subject: Re: [2.x] Java SCA 2.0 next milestones release

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com> wrote:

  I'd like to start some discussion on how we should proceed going
  forward with our 2.x Milestones releases aiming to be OASIS spec
  compliant

  I'd like to propose we alternate short milestones releases between
  OASIS and Tuscany specific related items to allow us to better focus
  and delivery contents. I'd also think we should have a small scope on
  each release milestone (e.g about 5 main items or themes).

  Below are some suggestions considering OASIS related items for the
  next milestones, please feel free to add to it, and once we agree on a
  small set of items/themes, I'll update the roadmap.

  - Adjust our Tuscany models and artifact processors to the latest
  OASIS Assembly Specification draft

  - Review Tuscany Policy models and start necessary clean-up and
  adjustment towards a more decoupled model/implementation and support
  for the OASIS Policy Specification draft

  - Although OASIS Java  Specification draft is still a little behind
  compared to others, there might still be some issues that could start
  working on such as removing conversations

  - Continue review and necessary work on Domain/Node APIs

  - Continue with some code clean-up/refactoring as suggested/discussed
  in previous threads
    - Java implementation refactoring
    - Endpoint refactoring
    - Remove conversation

  --
  Luciano Resende
  Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk

This is a good idea Luciano.

I would be happy if we set some kind of loose timetable for how this process is
going to get us to an OASIS spec compliant  code line by the the middle of the
year (or whenever it is we think OASIS will be done by.

As you say some of the specs are more complete that others. As good measure is
to look at the compliance statements and test cases. One of the ways we can
drive and measure progress is by completion of compliance tests. We need to be
able to pass them to demonstrate compliance so developing with them in mind
would seem to be a good idea.

What do you mean by short? Monthly? Six weekly? I think it should be down at
this sort of order.

I'd like to take a look at the Endpoint re-factoring piece next so I'll vote
for that being in M2. There are parts of this that are a pre-req for the Domain
piece. I'm also interested in the compliance testing and most of the action is
in assembly so far.

Not sure we explicitly have to alternate but I like the idea of themes. Maybe
this results in the same thing but I wouldn't want to pre-judge it.

Simon