Question: why such an old OS?  Can you upgrade it?  Fedora 7.3 (which is what I
assume you mean) and gcc 2.96 are pretty ancient, in computer software terms --
gcc 2.96 is *over 12 years old*.  That's an eternity.

Additional suggestion: we haven't tested with gcc 2.96 in quite a while, and
don't maintain lists of what versions work with (really) old compilers; sorry.
Ralph's suggestion is a good one -- start with the latest Open MPI (1.6.2) and
see if that works.  If it doesn't, work backwards in our release series and see
which works for you (e.g., if 1.6.2 doesn't work, try the last release in the
1.4.x series -- 1.4.5.  If that doesn't work, try the last release in the 1.2.x
series -- 1.2.9.  If that doesn't work, try the last release in the 1.1.x and
1.0.x series).